Password Security Check
At FMB keeping your information safe is our top priority! People too often use passwords that are too easy to guess or use the same passwords across dozens of online accounts. A breached password could leave the account vulnerable to account takeover. Our new Digital Banking Password Security Check will help keep you and your account information safe.
The Digital Banking Password Security Check feature automatically prompts users to ‘Update Your Password’ if their online banking password has been used in a publicly known breach of other companies' websites. An alert will occur immediately when a password is entered at login or if the password is changed.
Online Banking password requirements:
- Upper Case Letter
- Lower Case Letter
- Special Character
- Cannot be the last 2 previously used passwords
It’s important to create strong, complex passwords for your systems.
Password best practices include:
- Create passphrases instead of passwords. Individual words, even with slight variations, are easy to guess, but a series of words in a passphrase make them more secure.
- Do not use the same password for multiple systems, websites, or accounts.
- Do not use single words that can be found in the dictionary of any language. Password-cracking tools often come with dictionary lists that can try thousands of common words.
- Do not use passwords that include personal information that could be easily accessed or guessed. This includes your birth date, your Social Security or phone number, or names of family members.
- If you need help managing your passwords, do not store your list of passwords in a plain text file on your computer. Instead, there are several third-party password management programs that can help you stay secure.